I saw a post on both the svgcuts and craft edge forums this morning - requesting help creating (in SCAL) a card with a cut out heart filled with flowers. Now, I normally design in Inkscape so I had to go play around in SCAL and see if this could be done. I just upgraded from v2.013 to v.2.038 and hadn't played around with the new features too much.
I have to tell you- I think I will be doing a lot more designing in SCAL now - there are still some things you can't do but there is so much you can. Before I go over the steps, let me show you the card (I haven't embellished it or anything at this point):
And, here are the steps I followed to make this:
- Place your rectangle on mat
- Position heart in desired location
- Select both objects and then go to PATH and select EXCLUDE. You should now only see one object on your mat - the card base with a heart shaped opening.
- At this point, I locked this layer so that it would be easier to position and move things around.
- Position your flowers where you want them - be sure they overlap each other and also onto the card base itself.
- Select all of your flowers and WELD
- Unlock the base layer and SELECT ALL and then WELD
- That's it! Check the preview and it should be ready to cut!
And then, I have been doing a lot of blog hopping and even though I've seen it before, I never think to do this myself - I actually broke out the sewing machine for a card last night! I sewed the solid cardstock piece to the patterned background and then I pleated and sewed the ribbon to the card as well. It's still a simple card but I think it is pretty.
Thanks so much for stopping by - I'd love it if you'd leave a note to let me know you were here!