Where I shop for SVG Files:

The BEST SVG files on the web can be found at:



Support Jennifer's Fundraising Efforts for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital!

Support Jennifer's Fundraising Efforts for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital!
Click on Jennifer's picture to visit her fundraising page!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Valentine Card & Some Instructions

Happy Saturday everyone!

I saw a post on both the svgcuts and craft edge forums this morning - requesting help creating (in SCAL) a card with a cut out heart filled with flowers. Now, I normally design in Inkscape so I had to go play around in SCAL and see if this could be done. I just upgraded from v2.013 to v.2.038 and hadn't played around with the new features too much.

I have to tell you- I think I will be doing a lot more designing in SCAL now - there are still some things you can't do but there is so much you can. Before I go over the steps, let me show you the card (I haven't embellished it or anything at this point):



And, here are the steps I followed to make this:

  • Place your rectangle on mat
  • Position heart in desired location
  • Select both objects and then go to PATH and select EXCLUDE. You should now only see one object on your mat - the card base with a heart shaped opening.
  • At this point, I locked this layer so that it would be easier to position and move things around.
  • Position your flowers where you want them - be sure they overlap each other and also onto the card base itself.
  • Select all of your flowers and WELD
  • Unlock the base layer and SELECT ALL and then WELD
  • That's it! Check the preview and it should be ready to cut!
I could upload the cut file to 4shared but maybe you want to try it yourself? If you want the file, let me know and I'll get it loaded and provide a link.

And then, I have been doing a lot of blog hopping and even though I've seen it before, I never think to do this myself - I actually broke out the sewing machine for a card last night! I sewed the solid cardstock piece to the patterned background and then I pleated and sewed the ribbon to the card as well. It's still a simple card but I think it is pretty.


Thanks so much for stopping by - I'd love it if you'd leave a note to let me know you were here!

3 comments:

bcriminger said...

Love both the flower heart and the card! I made my first border in SCAL last night, I was really excited!

Kamilicrafts said...

Lora as I said before, you are a legend!! I love the sewing on the 2nd card too, love sewing on cards. I bought the sew easy tool to try as I don't have the space to get my machine out but need the correct foam mat to use with it I think as I am not getting great results at the minute. Kim

Dawn said...

AHA! And now I see how you made your flower card! How impressive! I gotta try making something like this!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and especially for taking a moment to share your thoughts.